I qualified in 2000 at the University of Pretoria, South Africa, and came to England in 2001 for a gap year with the idea to work and gain international experience. That year extended from one to twenty one, and I now call England my home.
I mostly treat children from 2 - 14 years of age from various backgrounds, with a wide range of needs and with varying levels of intellectual ability. I have a specific interest in working with children who have high learning potential (gifted) together with a special education need (Dual or Multiple Exceptionality / DME or Twice Exceptional / 2E in some countries). In February 2019 I was awarded the 'Above and Beyond Inspirational Therapist' award for my work in this area both in the national and international community. *If you think that your child may have DME or 2E but you are not sure, then have a look at my FREE parent guide HERE to help you decide.*
I strongly believe that children will thrive in an environment where everyone involved with them, works together. As a result I have online courses which you can enrol in at any time (check out my online courses page), and I also provide in-person training on occasion.
I am passionate about giving back to the occupational therapy profession, and to date have trained over 30 paediatric occupational therapists in my unique DME-C therapy approach for helping DME children, completely free of charge.
I am committed to excellence in my work, and regularly engage in continuous professional development activities such as reading anything DME / 2e related, attending courses and conferences, and receiving clinical supervision.
Having run the first independent and nationwide occupational therapy supervision, mentoring and coaching service for a number of years in the UK, I remain passionate about supporting my colleagues and still provide supervision on request.
I have a current enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Certificate and am a registered data controller. I also hold memberships of the following professional bodies:
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Children Young People and Families
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Independent Practice
- National Handwriting Association
Please get in touch if you have any questions or would like to find out more about the services I offer.
To empower and enrich lives
I want to empower the lives of the children I treat, the people I train, and the Occupational Therapists I supervise. I believe that my help will not just enrich their lives, but also the lives of the people that support them, or whom they support.
To provide my service with excellence
- I believe my clients are unique, and I therefore apply my knowledge and skills to realise the best outcomes for them.
- I ensure I keep up to date with relevant practice.
- If I am unsure about something, I will find out.
I go the extra mile
- I provide a personal service that shows that I care.
- I consider others and treat them the way I would like to be treated.
- I strive to accommodate individual needs and am flexible with my service provision.