I qualified in 2000 at the University of Pretoria, South Africa, and came to England in 2001 for a gap year with the idea to work and gain international experience. That year extended from one to twenty and I now call England my home.
I mostly treat children from 2 - 14 years of age from various backgrounds, with a wide range of needs and with varying levels of intellectual ability. I have a specific interest in working with children who have high learning potential (gifted) together with a special education need (Dual or Multiple Exceptionality / DME or Twice Exceptional / 2E in some countries). In February 2019 I was awarded the 'Above and Beyond Inspirational Therapist' award for my work in this area both in the national and international community.
I strongly believe that children will thrive in an environment where everyone involved with them, works together. As a result I have online courses which you can enrol in at any time (check out my online courses page), and I also provide in-person training on occasion.
I am passionate about giving back to the occupational therapy profession, and to date have trained over 30 paediatric occupational therapists in my unique DME-C therapy approach for helping DME children, completely free of charge.
I am committed to excellence in my work, and regularly engage in continuous professional development activities such as reading anything DME related, attending courses and conferences, and receiving clinical supervision.
Having run the first independent and nationwide occupational therapy supervision, mentoring and coaching service for a number of years in the UK, I remain passionate about supporting my colleagues and still provide supervision on request.
I have a current enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Certificate and am a registered data controller. I also hold memberships of the following professional bodies:
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Children Young People and Families
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Independent Practice
- National Handwriting Association
Please get in touch if you have any questions or would like to find out more about the services I offer.
To empower and enrich lives
I want to empower the lives of the children I treat, the people I train, and the Occupational Therapists I supervise. I believe that my help will not just enrich their lives, but also the lives of the people that support them, or whom they support.
To provide my service with excellence
- I believe my clients are unique, and I therefore apply my knowledge and skills to realise the best outcomes for them.
- I ensure I keep up to date with relevant practice.
- If I am unsure about something, I will find out.
I go the extra mile
- I provide a personal service that shows that I care.
- I consider others and treat them the way I would like to be treated.
- I strive to accommodate individual needs and am flexible with my service provision.